Bringing more joy to reading at home
February 03, 2020
Encouraging children to enjoy reading can be tricky for some. However, we know that reading at home is a great way to boost literacy levels at school.
Lewis Cherry from our Education team shares his TOP TIPS on how to get everyone to enjoy reading at home:
- Allow your child to read things that they’re interested in. Any kind of reading is beneficial, even if it’s a comic book or a cooking recipe!
- Take time to talk about the book, asking questions about the characters or setting. Find out what they think might happen next.
- Set aside time from distraction to focus on reading.
- Make it fun, funny voices always work!
- Read around your children and ask them to join in.
- Make books part of your family life and routine.
- Create a reading area in your home.
- Visit the library together.
- Don’t panic if they keep coming back to one or two favourite books. This can help boost confidence and fluency.
- Use technology to help. You could play phonics games, listen to audio books, or read books on a tablet.
If you are looking for ideas for books your child might enjoy, find our recommended reading list here: https://www.explorelearning.co.uk/blog/recommended-reading-lists/.
Discover more interesting posts from our blog
Learning from Leaders at City Year UK
May 15, 2017
On Friday 12th May, our Managing Director Rob Hicks popped over to City Year UK in London to share his Explore Learning career story with City Year volunteers. City Year...Read this post
Recommended home-learning resources
November 30, 2018
Want to know where to go for great at-home learning resources? Here is a list of some of our favourite websites… Khan Academy Some of the best video tutorials for...Read this post