Bringing more joy to reading at home
February 03, 2020
Encouraging children to enjoy reading can be tricky for some. However, we know that reading at home is a great way to boost literacy levels at school.
Lewis Cherry from our Education team shares his TOP TIPS on how to get everyone to enjoy reading at home:
- Allow your child to read things that they’re interested in. Any kind of reading is beneficial, even if it’s a comic book or a cooking recipe!
- Take time to talk about the book, asking questions about the characters or setting. Find out what they think might happen next.
- Set aside time from distraction to focus on reading.
- Make it fun, funny voices always work!
- Read around your children and ask them to join in.
- Make books part of your family life and routine.
- Create a reading area in your home.
- Visit the library together.
- Don’t panic if they keep coming back to one or two favourite books. This can help boost confidence and fluency.
- Use technology to help. You could play phonics games, listen to audio books, or read books on a tablet.
If you are looking for ideas for books your child might enjoy, find our recommended reading list here: https://www.explorelearning.co.uk/blog/recommended-reading-lists/.
Discover more interesting posts from our blog
Our superstar Explorers
October 13, 2017
Ansh has been coming to Explore Learning for over three years and now his younger brother Ayan is a member too! Their dad, Raj, shares their story… “At the...Read this post
Exploring the SATs – the journey so far
January 22, 2018
The SATs have been the scene of much change since the new National Curriculum came into place in 2014. In the space of three years the content of the test, the paper...Read this post