Bringing more joy to reading at home
February 03, 2020
Encouraging children to enjoy reading can be tricky for some. However, we know that reading at home is a great way to boost literacy levels at school.
Lewis Cherry from our Education team shares his TOP TIPS on how to get everyone to enjoy reading at home:
- Allow your child to read things that they’re interested in. Any kind of reading is beneficial, even if it’s a comic book or a cooking recipe!
- Take time to talk about the book, asking questions about the characters or setting. Find out what they think might happen next.
- Set aside time from distraction to focus on reading.
- Make it fun, funny voices always work!
- Read around your children and ask them to join in.
- Make books part of your family life and routine.
- Create a reading area in your home.
- Visit the library together.
- Don’t panic if they keep coming back to one or two favourite books. This can help boost confidence and fluency.
- Use technology to help. You could play phonics games, listen to audiobooks, or read books on a tablet.
If you are looking for ideas for books your child might enjoy, take a look at our recommended reading list for children aged 7-11.
Discover more interesting posts from our blog
Online tuition vs in person tuition: Which is better?
July 13, 2021
Today, there are lots of ways your child can receive tutoring and learning support. But which is best? We compare online tuition vs in-person tuition to...Read this post
Free Mid-Morning Maths with Bobby Seagull
April 02, 2020
Introducing Mid-Morning Maths with Bobby Seagull! In line with the launch of Explore at Home, and to offer further help as you teach your child at home, we are thrilled...Read this post