Bringing more joy to reading at home
February 03, 2020
Encouraging children to enjoy reading can be tricky for some. However, we know that reading at home is a great way to boost literacy levels at school.
Lewis Cherry from our Education team shares his TOP TIPS on how to get everyone to enjoy reading at home:
- Allow your child to read things that they’re interested in. Any kind of reading is beneficial, even if it’s a comic book or a cooking recipe!
- Take time to talk about the book, asking questions about the characters or setting. Find out what they think might happen next.
- Set aside time from distraction to focus on reading.
- Make it fun, funny voices always work!
- Read around your children and ask them to join in.
- Make books part of your family life and routine.
- Create a reading area in your home.
- Visit the library together.
- Don’t panic if they keep coming back to one or two favourite books. This can help boost confidence and fluency.
- Use technology to help. You could play phonics games, listen to audiobooks, or read books on a tablet.
If you are looking for ideas for books your child might enjoy, take a look at our recommended reading list for children aged 7-11.
Discover more interesting posts from our blog
Helping children with school anxieties - Dr Colton
June 26, 2020
Parents know that school can be stressful for children at times. Whether it’s down to some of the more common causes like exams, homework, or comparing themselves to...Read this post
Your summer family event guide 2022
June 30, 2022
Discover what’s happening across the UK this summer – visit the best family-friendly events & attractions and get ready for a summer to remember! ...Read this post