Bringing more joy to reading at home
February 03, 2020
Encouraging children to enjoy reading can be tricky for some. However, we know that reading at home is a great way to boost literacy levels at school.
Lewis Cherry from our Education team shares his TOP TIPS on how to get everyone to enjoy reading at home:
- Allow your child to read things that they’re interested in. Any kind of reading is beneficial, even if it’s a comic book or a cooking recipe!
- Take time to talk about the book, asking questions about the characters or setting. Find out what they think might happen next.
- Set aside time from distraction to focus on reading.
- Make it fun, funny voices always work!
- Read around your children and ask them to join in.
- Make books part of your family life and routine.
- Create a reading area in your home.
- Visit the library together.
- Don’t panic if they keep coming back to one or two favourite books. This can help boost confidence and fluency.
- Use technology to help. You could play phonics games, listen to audio books, or read books on a tablet.
If you are looking for ideas for books your child might enjoy, find our recommended reading list here: https://www.explorelearning.co.uk/blog/recommended-reading-lists/.
Discover more interesting posts from our blog
Braving the firewalk for charity!
October 24, 2017
A massive well done to Emma Stephenson, Chris Francis and Emma Laidler who proved they would walk over hot coals to raise money for charity… literally! When the...Read this post
Celebrate the numerical
May 15, 2019
Bobby Seagull is a numbers person. He explains why we should all be numbers people in this blog post to celebrate National Numeracy Day… Happy National Numeracy Day...Read this post