Bringing more joy to reading at home
February 03, 2020
Encouraging children to enjoy reading can be tricky for some. However, we know that reading at home is a great way to boost literacy levels at school.
Lewis Cherry from our Education team shares his TOP TIPS on how to get everyone to enjoy reading at home:
- Allow your child to read things that they’re interested in. Any kind of reading is beneficial, even if it’s a comic book or a cooking recipe!
- Take time to talk about the book, asking questions about the characters or setting. Find out what they think might happen next.
- Set aside time from distraction to focus on reading.
- Make it fun, funny voices always work!
- Read around your children and ask them to join in.
- Make books part of your family life and routine.
- Create a reading area in your home.
- Visit the library together.
- Don’t panic if they keep coming back to one or two favourite books. This can help boost confidence and fluency.
- Use technology to help. You could play phonics games, listen to audiobooks, or read books on a tablet.
If you are looking for ideas for books your child might enjoy, take a look at our recommended reading list for children aged 7-11.
Discover more interesting posts from our blog
Autism and learning: Supporting children with autism
April 06, 2021
For Autism Awareness Month, we’re turning a spotlight on some of our incredible members. Discover how we support children with autism at our Explore Learning...Read this post
Kiddidrop guest blog: Tips for preparing children and parents for the school run
April 11, 2014
As parents we know that the school run can be a stressful time of the day so it’s important to tackle the morning routine. Here are a few tips to ensure you get the...Read this post