Bringing more joy to reading at home
February 03, 2020
Encouraging children to enjoy reading can be tricky for some. However, we know that reading at home is a great way to boost literacy levels at school.
Lewis Cherry from our Education team shares his TOP TIPS on how to get everyone to enjoy reading at home:
- Allow your child to read things that they’re interested in. Any kind of reading is beneficial, even if it’s a comic book or a cooking recipe!
- Take time to talk about the book, asking questions about the characters or setting. Find out what they think might happen next.
- Set aside time from distraction to focus on reading.
- Make it fun, funny voices always work!
- Read around your children and ask them to join in.
- Make books part of your family life and routine.
- Create a reading area in your home.
- Visit the library together.
- Don’t panic if they keep coming back to one or two favourite books. This can help boost confidence and fluency.
- Use technology to help. You could play phonics games, listen to audiobooks, or read books on a tablet.
If you are looking for ideas for books your child might enjoy, take a look at our recommended reading list for children aged 7-11.
Discover more interesting posts from our blog
Fun and fancy dress for Roald Dahl charity
June 06, 2016
Our centres up and down the country had fancy dress fun and held various activities to raise money for Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Charity over the weekend! Explore...Read this post
After a parents' evening: Four steps
March 20, 2019
So you’ve been to a parents’ evening and you’ve got an overview of how your child is progressing. What do you do next to help? Read on for our top tips. Four...Read this post